| Description [Français / English] |
Composition sonore Stop List |
Enregistrements Recordings |
Retour Return |
L'église abbatiale de Schlägl fait partie de l'abbaye des Prémontrés à Aigen-Schlägel dans la région de Mühlviertel dans le nord de l'Autriche. Le monastère fait partie de la route de Saint-Jacques dans le Mühlviertel ainsi que de la route de Rupert.
Historique des Cisterciens
L'église abbatiale de Schlägl était à l'origine un monastère de cisterciens probablement fondé en 1202/1203 sur instructions de Mgr Wolfgar von Erla, évêque de Passau, à Kalhoch II von Falkenstein. Les moines cisterciens provenaient du cloître franc de Langheim. La cause du départ des Cisterciens seulement après quelques années - probablement au cours de l'hiver 1209/1210 ou au cours de l'hiver 1210/1211. Dès le départ, le monastère n'était pas très bien doté et présumément à cause des conditions climatiques difficiles.
Les successeurs de l'évêque Wolfgar, Manegold von Berg et Ulrich II von Höfft, choisissent un emplacement au climat plus favorable dans la région de Mühlviertel. Le 20 juin 1218, après que les Prémontrés aient accepté de s'y installer, l'Abbé du monastère de Langheim renonce à tout droit.
Historique des Prémontrés
Le 9 juillet 1218, Kalhoch (Chalhoch) von Falkenstein remet sa dote aux Prémontrés de Schlägl. Il n'est pas prouvé, car les documents originaux sont manquants et les copies retrouvées sont ou bien non fiables ou partiellement falsifiées, si les chanoines provenaient du monastère d'Osterhofen en Basse-Bavière ou du monastère bohémien de Mulhouse. Ils ont à leur tête saint Norbert de Xanten. Les archives du monastère d'Osterhofen indiquent que les Prémontrés se sont installés au monastère de Schlägl en 1220. Dans un document datant de 1226 à Passau, l'évêque Rüdiger von Bergheim mentionne que Konrad von Falkenstein, un des fils du fondateur, renonce à ses droits sur le territoire de Schlägl. Dans le même document, l'évêque ordonne arbitrairement que le monastère de Schlägl doive dépendre du prévôt d'Osterhofen.
En 1258, le monastère reçoit en dote trois manoirs et l'église de Lichtenwerd de même que le village de Pfaffenschlag (Phaphenslag) de la part de Witiko I von Krumau. En 1262, il reçoit, après le décès de celui-ci, des indemnités de la part de Wok von Rosenberg, le fondateur du monastère de Hohenfurt. En 1264, il reçoit, de la part de Budiwoj von Krumau, Skalitz et Sepekau et de son épouse Perchta von Falkenstein, le village de Schintau (Schindlau bei Schlägl). Le 29 mai 1305, Henrich I von Rosenberg dote le monastère de l'église de Friedberg et d'autres dons.
Probablement après 1251, le chapitre général des Prémontrés décide que le monastère de Schlägl dépendra de celui de Mulhouse. Le 13 février 1257, le pape Alexandre V accorde aux diocèses de Passau, Prague et Regendburg une indulgence de 100 jours à toute personne qui aidera l'Abbé de Mulhouse (Mileuz) à construire l'église collégiale de Schlägl. Ce n'est qu'en 1307, lors d'une entente de confraternité et de prière, qu'apparaît la mention officielle que le monastère de Schlägl dépend de celui de Mulhouse. La même année, Mgr Bernhard von Prambach, évêque de Passau, reformule sa demande au chapitre général des Prémontrés pour que le monastère de Schlägl dépende de celui d'Osterhofen. En 1319, le chapitre de la cathédrale de Passau transfère la paroisse de Rohrbach au monastère; ce transfert sera officiel en 1321.
Après que l'église ait été endommagée lors des combats entre Friedrich dem Schönen et Ludwig dem Bayern (in 1314-1322), elle sera reconstruite avec l'aide des Rosenberg. En 1327, les ducs de Basse-Bavière, Heinrich, Otto et Heinrich Jr accordent au monastère les indemnités des églises de Burhausen et de Schärding. La même année, Wilhelm von Landstein, sur ordre du roi Johann von Luxemburg, de Bohème, accorde au monastère les droits de patronage de l'église de Wodnian.
Le 28 août 1420, l'Abbé de Mulhouse, Svatomir, demande au capitaine des Landes ob der Enns, Reinprecht von Walsee, d'inspecter le monastère de Schlägl vu qu'il est incapable de faire parce que son église collégiale a été détruite par les hussites. L'inspection a lieu le 11 septembre suivant par le chevalier Andreas Herleinsperger qui détient le poste de vidame pour le diocèse de Passau. Probablement parce que le monastère de Mulhouse a été appauvri par les destructions des hussites, les documents du chapitre général de 1433, mis en oeuvre le 7 mai à Bâle, transfèrent les droits de paternité du monastère de Mulhouse sur celui de Schlägl à l'Abbé de Odterhofen. À la suite de la destruction de l'église collégiale de Schlägl lors de la guerre avec les hussites, celle-ci est reconstruite sous l'autorité du prévôt Andreas Rieder et elle est consacrée, en 1448, par Mgr Sigismund Pircham, archevêque auxiliaire de Passau. En 1465, le monastère de Schlägl ainsi que l'église paroissiale de Rohrbach sont placés sous protection spéciale par l'empereur Friedrich III.
À la demande du prévôt Andreas, le 17 avril 1479, Wok et Peter von Resenberg confirment tous les privilèges et dons consentis par leurs prédécesseurs en faveur du monastère. La même année, les mêmes privilèges sont confirmés par le roi Vladislav de Bohème et par le duc Georg der Reiche de Bavière-Landshut. En 1489, le pape Innocent VIII accorde au prévôt Johannes et à ses successeurs le pouvoir pontifical de procéder à la bénédiction d'édifices religieux et de présider à des inaugurations ordinaires. En 1493, l'empereur Friedrich III confirme tous les privilèges en cours. La même année, il demande au chef du gouvernement provincial, Gotthard von Strarhemberg, de protéger l'Abbé Ulrich Seckler et son église dans l'exercice de ses privilèges. Après le décès de l'empereur et celui du chef du gouvernement provincial peu de temps après, l'Abbé Ulrich Seckler est déposé et Johannes Grosshaupt est choisi en tant que prévôt sous la gouverne de Bartholomäus von Mühlhause, abbé du monastère mère. Le processus de déposition du prévôt Ulrich Seckler est confirmé en 1498 par l'Abbé général et le chapitre général. La même année, le roi germano-romain et plus tard empereur Maximilien I confirme tous les privilèges consentis au monastère de Schläsl par son père. Après un incendie initié par un diacre du monastère, Oswald Poch, celui-ci est condamné en 1499 par le chapitre général au donjon perpétuel. La même année, l'Abbé Bartholomäus de Mulhouse préside à l'élection d'un nouveau prévôt à Schlägl ce qui prouve qu'à ce moment-là, le monastère Mulhouse détenait les droits de paternité sur celui de Schlägl.
Dans la tourmente de la Réforme, le monastère est dirigé par des prévôts sans envergure. Une amélioration survient en 1589 avec l'élection du prévôt Wenzeslaus Zypser. Il provenait du monastère de Tachau et avait été prieur à Klosterbruck. Au moment de son élection, il était le seul prêtre dans le monastère. Il s'attaque à la restauration de l'ordre ecclésiastique, il rembourse une partie de la dette et les bâtiments sont réparés. Au cours de la révolte des fermiers du Mülviertel en 1594, il doit s'exiler en Bohème. Au cours du mandat de Crispin Fuck en tant que prévôt, l'empereur Matthias accorde au monastère le privilège du commerce du sel en Bavière. Avec ces revenus additionnels, les dettes sont complètement remboursées, une partie du monastère est reconstruit et un nouveau maître autel est acheté.
Au cours de la guerre des paysans, en 1626, le monastère est incendié de fond en comble. La reconstruction s'enclenche dès 1627 sous la direction du prévôt Martin Greysing. En 1637, le monastère et l'église sont achevés. Après une accalmie économique, le monastère fonde un établissement d'éducation philosophique et théologique qui devient un succès tant ecclésiastique que culturel. En 1657, le monastère est élevé au rang d'abbaye et le prévôt Martin Greysing est nommé comme premier Abbé. Il fonde un hôpital dans le village d'Aigen, établit des ateliers de verre et instaure des pèlerinages à l'église de saint Wolfgang am Stein.
Le XVIIIe siècle est accompagné de difficultés financières causées par les incendies survenus en 1702 et 1739. Le 11 mars 1764, la querelle centenaire concernant les droits de paternité du monastère d'Osterhofen en Bavière est réglée par la congrégation romaine des évêques et des ordres religieux.
En 1850, l'église est détruite en majeure partie par un incendie. La reconstruction, qui dure de 1861 à 1868, se déroule sous la supervision de l'Abbé Dominik Lebschy.
Le 29 avril 1941, l'église est fermée sur ordre des dirigeants nationaux-socialistes. Après la fin de la Deuxième Guerre mondiale, une importante restauration du monastère s'effectue sous la direction de l'Abbé Cajetan Lang.
Aujourd'hui, le monastère est un centre ecclésiastique, pastoral et économique de la région nord du Mühlviertel. De plus, les chanoines sont aussi actifs dans le bien-être spirituel des malades et dans le domaine scolaire. Depuis 1989, l'Abbé Martin Felhofer dirige un monastère qui comprend 41 chanoines. Le 6 juin 2009, il a été réélu pour un nouveau terme de dix ans.
Le monastère
Quelques décennies après sa fondation, la construction d'une église de pierre et de bâtiments conventuels débute. La crypte romane et la nef centrale de l'église datent du milieu du XIIIe siècle. Après les destructions causées par les hussites, le monastère est rebâti en 1448. D'autres reconstructions ont lieu après la révolte des fermiers de 1594 et celle de 1626 ainsi qu'après l'incendie de 1850.
L'église, de style gothique, comprend avec trois nefs et possède un grand escalier donnant accès au choeur. Les autels, la chaire et les stalles du choeur des XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles impressionnent par leurs riches sculptures et ornementations procurant à l'église une atmosphère chaleureuse et accueillante. La crypte romane et gothique date des débuts du monastère. L'église, aussi bâtie dans le style gothique, a reçu ultérieurement, des éléments de style baroque.
Le sculpteur Johann Petz, de Munich, a créé le maître autel alors que les autels latéraux ont été sculptés par Lorenz von Westenrieder, de Linz. Les tableaux de l'autel sont l'oeuvre du peintre Augustin Palme, de Munich.
Le monastère a construit sa bibliothèque en 1830 et son ameublement a été créé en 1852. Elle contient environ 60 000 volumes, 390 incunables et 263 manuscrits. Alexander Weiss a créé le tableau du plafond.
La salle des tableaux sise du côté est de l'église a été créée en 1898. Elle contient de larges tableaux gothiques précieux d'anciens maîtres allemands et hollandais ainsi qu'environ 200 tableaux de maîtres tels que Albrecht Altdorfer, Paolo Veronese, Moritz von Schwind et David Tenier.
La statue de la Madonne de Schlägl, datant de 1218, est maintenant au Musée de la Haute-Autriche à Linz.
Les orgues
L'orgue de tribune
L'orgue de la tribune occidentale est l'oeuvre d'Andreas Putz, de Passau, qui le construisit au cours de l'hiver 1633/1634. L'instrument avait été commandé par le prévôt Martin Greysing. Il a été entendu pour la première fois lors de la célébration de la première messe de Matthäus le dimanche suivant la fête de saint Norbert, en juillet 1634.
En 1702, un incendie cause d'importants dommages à l'orgue. Ceux-ci sont si importants qu'en 1708, Johann Christoph Egedacher, de Salzbourg, probablement aidé par son frère Johann Ignaz, procède à une reconstruction de l'instrument tout en y apportant un nombre important de modifications. À cette occasion, le diapason est élevé de 420 à 447 Hz, le concept de buffets séparés pour le Positive et le Hauptwerk est modifié et ramené en un seul buffet et enfin, une division de Brustpositiv, utilisant un diapason plus bas, est ajouté.
En 1805, les facteurs Franz Noli, père et fils, de Pilsen/Busweis, réparent l'instrument qui a, encore une fois, été endommagé lors d'un incendie.
En 1853, un nouvel incendie oblige une reconstruction. Cette fois, les travaux sont réalisés par Joseph Breinbauer, d'Ottensheim. Il ajoute trois jeux à l'instrument.
En 1904, le facteur de la cour dont les ateliers sont à Urfahr près de Linz, Johann Lachmayr, amène l'orgue aux goûts du jour et installe une traction pneumatique. Il ajoute aussi 10 jeux à l'instrument.
En 1948, la traction pneumatique est retirée et remplacée par une nouvelle traction mécanique par Wilhelm Zika.
En 1960, la firme Kuhn, de Männedorf près de Zurich (Suisse), restaure l'instrument en lui restituant sa structure historique. Egon Krauss, alors de la Commission des monuments nationaux d'Autriche, est le consultant.
En 1989/1990, la firme des frères Reil, de Heerde (Hollande) effectue une restauration complète de l'instrument et le ramène à son état de 1708 en se basant sur des instruments appartenant à la même période (Brunnenthal, Baumgartenberg, Pesenbach, Klosterneuburg, Münsteuer, Salzburg St. Cajetan, Lienz, Inniche, Schloss Gandegg, Vornbach/Inn), sur des interprétations de sources archivistiques provenant du monastère de Schlägl, de l'examen minutieux des structures de l'instrument au cours du processus de démontage et enfin sur des inscriptions retrouvées sur de la tuyauterie originale.
Les travaux incluent la construction d'un nouveau système de vent, de trois nouveaux réservoirs cunéiformes, d'une nouvelle traction mécanique, d'un nouveau sommier pour la base du Poritice (Kuhn avait enlevé l'ancien), le replacement de la tuyauterie déplacée au cours du XIXe siècle, la reconstruction de tuyaux, et l'instauration d'un tempérament inégal basé sur la tuyauterie ancienne non modifiée. Ces révisions visent principalement la composition originale des Mixtures et Cymbales de même que la reconstruction des anches perdues. Les tractions non originales et la console de Breinbauer étant usées et n'étant plus très fonctionnelles ont été remplacées par des tractions modernes et une console moderne afin de permettre un rendement maximal de la tuyauterie harmonisée à pied ouvert. Utilisant toujours les anciens sommiers d'Andreas Putz, les divisions du Hauptwerk et de la Pédale possèdent une étendue de clavier d'octave courte de 45 et de 19 notes respectivement. Quant au sommier de la division du Positive, qui a été construit par Egedacher, il était complètement vermoulu et a dû être remplacé. Il fut donc possible de l'agrandir de quatre demi-tons dans la première octave pour le porter à 49 notes.
Aucun effort n'a été consacré à la reconstruction du Brustwerk vu le manque d'information quant à sa dimension et son devis. Cette division à bas diapason était présente dans l'instrument d'Egedacher et était probablement utilisé comme un continuo.
Le buffet richement décoré, oeuvre de Georg Obermayr, de Passau, a été restauré dans son état original par le conservateur Josef Watzinger, de Salzbourg. Aucun effort n'a été consacré pour reconstruire les volets vu le manque d'information. Il est connu que l'orgue de 1708 possédait ces volets. Une des caractéristiques de cet instrument est la présence de deux façades parce que l'instrument est placé près de la balustrade et à une bonne distance du mur arrière de l'église : la façade avant inclut la tuyauterie provenant des principaux alors que la façade arrière contient des tuyaux provenant de l'Octave 8' de la pédale.
Ces travaux ont été réalisés sous la direction de Rudi van Straten, du Bureau des monuments historiques de Zutphen (Hollande) et de Rupert Gottfried Frieberger, chantre et maître de choeur de l'abbaye.
Il s'agit de l'instrument de Putz le mieux préservé et de qui on sait qu'il a construit le grand orgue de Lienz et d'autres instruments importants à Innichen et Brixen. Cet orgue est le plus ancien en Haute-Autriche. Avec l'instrument de Klosterneuburg (1555/1642) et celui de la Hofkirche d'Innsbruck (1561), il fait partie des orgues les plus remarquables d'Autriche et appartient à la période faste de la facture d'orgues des pays alpins au cours des XVIe et XVIIe siècles.
L'orgue de choeur
L'utilisation d'un orgue de choeur pour la liturgie des heures est démontrée depuis 1630. L'instrument précédant celui de Putz en 1634 était placé dans le choeur et servait d'orgue de choeur.
En 1640, Christoph Egedacker, de Straubinger, construit et installe un orgue de choeur. Celui-ci a été enlevé en 1748.
Probablement au cours d'un renouveau liturgique et d'une revitalisation de la liturgie chantée des heures à la fin du XIXe siècle, un harmonium est installé parmi les stalles du choeur. Il est utilisé jusqu'en 1952.
Après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, l'Abbé Cajétan Lang décide de faire construire un orgue de choeur. Il fait appel à Wilhelm Zika qui vient de fonder la firme "Oö. Orgelbauanstalt Saint Florian", une corporation dans laquelle huit monastères d'Autriche sont impliqués et dont il est le directeur artistique. Il est choisi pour construire un instrument à traction entièrement mécanique de 12 jeux répartis sur un clavier et pédalier. Le projet est supervisé par Egon Krauss, le maître de choeur Wolfgang Siegl et Bruno Grünberger.
L'orgue, construit en 1954, devait recevoir des volets conçus par le peintre Fritz Aigner, de Linz. Toutefois, elles ne seront pas requises, car la décision a été prise de faire un construire un buffet de style baroque. Les esquisses des deux volets sont exposées dans la salle des peintures.
Lorsque Bruno Grünberger devient prieur en 1961, des discussions ont lieu quant à l'agrandissement de l'orgue. En 1965, le facteur Gregor Hradetzky, de Krems, sous la supervision d'Egon Krauss en tant que consultant, agrandit l'instrument à 23 jeux répartis sur deux claviers et pédalier. Toutefois, influencé par ce qui se faisait en Scandinavie, il déroge des techniques traditionnelles de la facture d'orgue et introduit l'usage du plastique et d'autres substituts du bois lorsqu'il construit une toute nouvelle traction mécanique. Rapidement, des signes de détérioration apparaissent. L'usage de ces matériaux alternatifs a pu contribuer à une réduction dans la vie utile des travaux.
En 2003, la firme Kögler, de St. Florian près de Linz, est choisie pour corriger la situation. Le but de la reconstruction est d'obtenir un orgue qui utilise essentiellement l'ancien art de la facture d'orgue et qui soit conçu pour épauler les célébrations de la liturgie des heures. Il doit aussi correspondre aux hauts standards artistiques de l'abbaye en matière de musique religieuse et de concert.
Avec la présence du maître de choeur Rupert Gottfried Frieberger en tant que consultant, Christian Kögler conçoit les plans pour une nouvelle traction simplifiée des claviers qui permettra d'obtenir un "toucher sensible" et une traction simplifiée des jeux avec un aménagement plus pratique des tirants.
Le résultat est un instrument bien adapté et bien équilibré dont la sonorité est noble sans être intrusive. Le vent généré par les réservoirs cunéiformes est très musical. Le tempérament est versatile ce qui procure à l'orgue la capacité d'exécuter du répertoire provenant de différentes époques sans être un orgue "universel". Les flûtes ont du caractère alors que les cordes possèdent des capacités de bien se mélanger aux autres jeux. Le Trombone 8' de la pédale, lequel sonne comme un basson baroque, est utile comme jeu solo (registre du ténor dans un cantus firmus) ou comme jeu de fonds. Toute la tuyauterie du Hauptwerk, à l'exception du Spitzgamba 8', est neuve, car, lors du démontage, plusieurs tuyaux étaient endommagés.
L'instrument a été inauguré le 4 mai 2008.
The Schlägl Abbey Church is part of a Premonstratensian abbey in Aigen-Schlägl in the Mühlviertel region in Upper Austria. The monastery is part of the St. James's Way in Mühlviertel and of the Rupert'a Trail.
Cistercian History
The Schlägl Abbey Church originated at first as a Cistercian monastery presumably founded in 1202/1203 upon instruction by Bishop Wolfgar von Erla, of Passau, to Kalhoch II von Falkenstein. Cistercians came from the Frankish Langheim cloister. It is not known why the Cistercians left only after a few years - presumably in winter 1209/1210 or in winter 1210/1211. From the outset, the monastery was not properly endowed and presumably the difficult climatic conditions.
Bishop Wolfgar's successors, Manegold von Berg and Ulrich II von Höfft, selected a more favorable climatic place in the Mühlviertel region. After the Premonstratensians accepted to settle, the Langheim monastery abbot renounced all claims on June 20th, 1218.
Premonstratensian History
On July 9th, 1218, Kalhoch (Chalhoch) von Falkenstein handed over his endowment to the Premonstratensians in Schlägl. It is not clearly proven whether the canons came from the Osterhofen monastery in Lower Bavaria or from the Bohemian monastery of Mulhouse. They were headed by St. Norbert of Xanten. The original documents are missing and the preserved duplicates are either unreliable and partially faked. In the Osterhofen monastery, registers note that the Premonstratensians took over the Schlägl monastery in 1220. In a document in Passau, Bishop Rüdiger von Bergheim, from the year 1236, mentions that Konrad von Falkenstein, a son of the founder, renounced the Schlägl territory. In the same document, the bishop arbitrarily orders the Schlägl monastery to be subordinated to the provost in Osterhofen.
In 1258, the monastery received as endowments three manors and the church in Lichtenwerd as well as the Pfaffenschlag (Phaphenslag) village from Witiko I von Krumau. In 1262, it received, after his death, allowances from Wok von Rosenberg, the founder of the Hohenfurt monastery. In 1264, it received, from Budiwoj von Krumau, Skalitz and Sepekau and his spouse Perchta von Falkenstein, the village of Schintau (Schindlau bei Schlägl). On May 29th, 1305, Heinrich I von Rosenberg endowed the monastery with the Friedberg church and other donations.
Presumably after 1251, the Premonstratensian general chapter decided that Schlägl would be subordinated to Mulhouse. On February 13th, 1257, Pope Alexander IV granted Passau, Prague and Regensburg dioceses an indulgence of 100 days to those who would help the Mulhouse Abbott (Mileuz) in the construction of the Collegiate Church in Schlägl. Schlägl was expressly mentioned as Mulhouse's daughter monastery only in 1307 when the Mulhouse convention established a confraternity and prayer fraternization with the Schlägl convention. In the same year, Passau bishop, Bernhard von Prambach, again asked the general chapter of the Premonstratensians to subordinate the Schlägl monastery to Osterhofen. In 1319, the Passau cathedral chapter transferred the Rohrbach parish to Schlägl which was incorporated in 1321.
After the church was damaged in the fight between Friedrich dem Schönen and Ludwig dem Bayern (in 1314-1322), it was rebuilt with the help of the Rosenbergs. In 1327, the Low-Bavarian dukes Heinrich Sr, Otto and Heinrich granted the church toll freedom in Burghausen and Schärding. In the same year, Wilhelm von Landstein by order of the Bohemian king Johann von Luxemburg gave the Wodnian church's patronage right to the collegiate church.
On 28th August 1420, Mühlhause Abbot Svatomir asked the Landes ob der Enns captain, Reinprecht von Walsee, to inspect the Schlägl monastery because he was not able to do so because his collegiate church had been destroyed by the Hussites. The inspection occurred on September 11th of that year by Knight Andreas Herleinsperger who held the office of the vidame for the Passau bishopric. Presumably because the Mulhouse monastery had become impoverished by the destruction by the Hussites, the 1433 general chapter documents, executed on May 7th in Basel, transferred the Mulhouse paternity rights over the Schlägl monastery to the Osterhofen abbot. Because the Schlägl church had been destroyed during the Hussite war, it was rebuilt under provost Andreas Rieder and in 1448, it was consecrated by the Passau Auxiliary Archbishop Sigismund Pircham. In 1465, emperor Friedrich III took the Schlägl monastery as well as the Rohrbach parish church under his special protection.
At the request of provost Andreas, on April 17th, 1479, Wok and Peter von Rosenberg confirmed all privileges and donations made by their forefathers to the monastery. In the same year, the same privileges were confirmed by Bohemian King Vladislav and Duke Georg der Reiche from Bavaria-Landshut. In 1489, Pope Innocent VIII granted the Schlägl provost Johannes for himself and his successors the pontifical right to bless religious buildings and to preside low inaugurations. In 1493, Emperor Friedrich III confirmed the privileges. In the same year, he asked the head of the province government Gotthard von Starhemberg to protect Abbot Ulrich Seckler and the church in his freedoms. After the emperor as well as the head of the province government passed away a short time later, Abbot Ulrich Seckler was deposed and Johannes Grosshaupt was chosen as provost under the chairmanship of the monastery father's Abbot Bartholomäus von Mühlhause. Provost Ulrich Seckler's dismissal processes were confirmed in 1498 by the general abbot and the general chapter. In the same year, the Roman-German king and later emperor Maximilian I confirmed the privileges granted by his father to Schlägl. After a fire which was charged on monastery deacon Oswald Poch, he was condemned in 1499 by the general chapter to lifelong dungeon. In the same year, Mühlhause Abbot Bartholomäus supervised the new provost's election in Schlägl which proved that, at that time, the monastery's paternity rights lay with the Mulhouse monastery.
In the confusion of the Reformation, the monastery was governed by unworthy provosts. An improvement occurred in 1589 with the election of provost Wenzeslaus Zypser. He came from Tachau and was before a prior of Klosterbruck. At the time of his election, he was the only priest in the monastery. He managed the restoration of the ecclesiastical order, he paid off a part of the debts and the buildings were repaired. During the Mühlviertel farm riots of 1594, he had to flee to Bohemia. During the term of office of provost Crispin Fuck, emperor Matthias granted the privilege to trade salt to Bohemia. With these additional revenues, the debts were completely paid off, part of the monastery was rebuilt and a new high altar was purchased.
During the Peasants' War of 1626, the monastery was burned down up to the walls. The reconstruction occurred from 1627 under provost Martin Greysing. In 1637, the monastery and the church were completed. After the economic rest, the monastery established a philosophical-theological educational establishment which turned out to be an ecclesiastical and cultural success. In 1657, the monastery was raised to the abbey status when provost Martin Greysing was appointed the first abbot. He founded the Martin's hospital in the village of Aigen, established glass workshops and established the pilgrimage to the church in Saint Wolfgang am Stein.
The 18th century was accompanied again by economic difficulties which were caused above all by the fires of 1702 and 1739. On March 11th, 1764, the centuries-lasting quarrel about the monastery's paternal rights to Osterhofen in Bavaria were settled by the Roman congregation for the bishops and religious orders.
In 1850, the church was destroyed to a great extent by a fire. The reconstruction occurred under Abbot Dominik Lebschy, from 1861 to 1868.
On April 29th, 1941, the church was closed by the national-socialist rulers. After the end of the Second World War, a comprehensive restoration of the monastery occurred under Abbot Cajetan Lang.
Today, the monastery is the ecclesiastical, pastoral and economic center in the upper Mühlviertel. In addition, the canons are also active in the sick person's spiritual welfare and in the school system. Since 1989, Abbot Martin Felhofer heads a 41-canon monastery. On June 6th, 2009, he was re-elected for an additional 10-year term of office.
The Monastery
A few decades after the foundation, construction of a stone church and monastery building began. The still preserved Romanesque crypt and the central nave of the abbey church come from the middle of the 13th century. After destruction by the Hussites, the monastery was rebuilt in 1448. Other reconstructions occurred after the farm riots of 1594 and 1626 and after a fire of 1850.
The abbey church is created with three naves and features a large staircase to the choir. Altars, pulpit and choir stalls from the 17th and 18th centuries impress with their rich carving and inlay work and give the church a warm, welcoming atmosphere. From the early days of the monastery testify to the Romanesque and Gothic crypt. The church, built in the Gothic style, later received baroque elements.
Munich sculptor Johann Petz created the high altar while the lateral altars were carved by Linz sculptor Lorenz von Westenrieder. Munich painter Augustin Palme created the altar paintings.
The monastery built its library in 1830 and its furnishings were created in 1852. It contains about 60,000 volumes, 390 incunabula and 263 manuscripts. Alexander Weiss created the ceiling painting.
The painting gallery in the eastern side of the church was established in 1898. It contains valuable Gothic large paintings from old-German and Dutch masters as well as about 200 paintings from among others Albrecht Altdorfer, Paolo Veronese, Moritz von Schwind and David Tenier.
The statue of the Schlägl Madonna, dating from 1218, is now in the Upper Austria museum in Linz.
The Organs
Gallery Organ
The organ on the west loft is the work of Andreas Putz, of Passau, who built it during the winter of 1633/1634. It was ordered by provost Martin Greysing and first heard at the first mass celebrated by Canon Matthäus III on the Sunday following the feast of St. Norbert in July 1634.
In 1702, a fire caused considerable damage to the organ. The damage was so extensive that, in 1708, Johann Christoph Egedacher, of Salzburg, probably helped by his brother Johann Ignaz, carried out a reconstruction bringing in a number of fundamental changes to the organ. At that occasion, the diapason was raised from 420 to 447 Hz, the formerly separate Positive and Hauptwerk organcase concept was rearranged into a single organcasecase and a Brustpositiv with a lower pitch was added.
In 1805, organbuilders Franz Noli, father and son, from Pilsen/Budweis, repaired the instrument which had again been damaged by fire.
In 1853, a new fire meant another reconstruction, this time it was carried out by Josef Breinbauer, d'Ottensheim. He added three stops to the instrument.
In 1904, the court organbuilder from Urfahr near Linz, Johann Lachmayr, brought the organ to the taste of the time and installed a pneumatic action. He also added ten stops.
In 1948, the pneumatic action was removed and replaced by a new mechanical action by Wilhelm Zika.
In 1960, the organbuilding firm Kuhn, from Männedorf near Zurich (Switzerland), carried out a restoration bringing the instrument back to its historical structure. Egon Krauss, then from the Austrian National Monuments Commission, was the consultant.
In 1989-1990, the organbuilding firm Reil Brothers, from Heerde (Netherlands) extensively restored the instrument and brought it back to its 1708 disposition based on instruments from the same period (Brunnenthal, Baumgartenberg, Pesenbach, Klosterneuburg, Münsteuer, Salzburg St. Cajetan, Lienz, Inniche, Schloss Gandegg, Vornbach/Inn), from interpretations of archival sources in the Schlägl monastery archives, the close examination of instrumental structures during the dismantling process and the inscriptions on original pipework.
The works involved the construction of a new wind system, of three new wedge bellows, of a new mechanical action, of a new winchest for the lower Positive (Kuhn had removed the old one), reracking pipework shifted in the 19th century, the reconstruction of pipework, and the installation of an unequal temperament based on older, unmodified pipes. These reinstatements affect especially the original composition of the important compound stops Mixtures and Cymbel as well as the reconstruction of the lost reed stops. The non original actions and console replaced by Breinbauer were not very functional and were worn out. They were replaced by modern actions and a modern console making it possible because of the sensitive speech to use to full capacity the high tonal standards of the pipes voiced on open foot. Still possessing the old slider windchests of Andreas Putz, the Hauptwerk and Pedal divisions have therefore a short octave and dispose of a 45- and 19-note compass respectively. Whereas the windchest of the Positive, which was made by Egedacher, was completely wormeaten and had to be replaced. Thus it was possible to enlarge it in the lower octave by four semitones and to dispose it with a 49-note compass.
No attempt was made to reconstruct the Brustwerk owing to the lack of information about its size and disposition. This lower pitch division was present on the Egedacher instrument and probably served as a continuo element.
The richly ornate organcase by Georg Obermayr, from Passau, was restored to its original state by the conservator Josef Watzinger, from Salzburg. No attempt was also made to reconstruct the double shutters, again owing to lack of information. The organ was known to have such shutters in 1708. The special characteristic of this organ consists in its two facades as the instrument is completely located near the balustrade with a considerable distance to the rear end of the church: the front facade includes pipework from the main Principals while the back facade includes pipework from the Pedal Octave 8'.
These works were executed under the supervision of Rudi van Straten from the Dutch Historic Monuments Office in Zutphen (Netherlands) and Rupert Gottfried Frieberger, Schlägl abbey precenter and chapel-master.
It is the best-preserved instrument by Putz of whom we know that he built the great organ in Lienz and important instruments in Innichen and Brixen. This organ is the oldest organ in Upper Austria. Together with the instrument in Klosterneuburg (1555/1642) and in the Hofkirche of Innsbruck (1561), it belongs to the most famous organs in Austria from the heyday of organ building in the alpine countries during the 16th and 17th centuries.
Chancel Organ
The use of a chancel organ for the hourly prayers in the church is provable since 1630. The instrument preceding the 1634 Putz organ was located in the chancel and played as a chancel organ.
In 1640, Christoph Egedacher, from Straubinger, built and installed a choir organ. It was removed in 1748.
Probably in the course of a renewal of the liturgy and revitalization of the chanted hourly prayer at the end of the 19th century, a reed organ was installed in the choral stalls. It was used until 1952.
After the Second World War, Abbott Cajetan Lang decided the construction of a chancel organ. He called upon Wilhelm Zika, who recently founded "Oö. Orgelbauanstalt Saint Florian", a corporation in which eight Austrian monasteries were involved and for whom he was acting as artistic director. He was selected to build the instrument with 12 stops on one manual and pedal using purely mechanical construction methods. The project was supervised by Egon Krauss, Choir Master Wolfgang Siegl and Bruno Grünberger.
The organ, built in 1954, should receive wing doors designed by Linz painter Fritz Aigner. However, they will not be installed because it was decided to go for a Baroque organcase which was executed by the Watzinger workshops in Salzburg. Sketches of the two Brustwerk doors are now on display in the painting gallery.
When Bruno Grünberger became prior in 1961, there were talks about the enlargement of the organ. In 1965, Krems organbuilder, Gregor Hradetzky, enlarged the instrument to 23 stops over two manuals and pedal, again with Egon Krauss as consultant. However, influenced by what was being done in Scandinavia, he moved away from traditional organbuilding techniques and introduced plastic and other substandard substitutes for wood when he completely revised the mechanical action. Deterioration signs became rapidly apparent. The use of these alternate materials may have contributed to a reduction in the lifetime expectancy.
In 2003, the organbuilding firm Kögler, from St. Florian near Linz, was selected to correct the situation. The aim of the reconstruction was to build an organ which would essentially use the ancient art of organbuilding and be designed to support the hourly prayer services. It will also correspond to the abbey's high church music and concert artistic standards.
With chapel-master Rupert Gottfried Frieberger as consultant, Christian Kögler prepared drafts for a new simplified mechanical key action which will permit a sensitive "Toucher" and a simplified stop action with a better and practical stopknob layout.
The result is a well-adapted and well-balanced instrument whose sound is noble without being intrusive. The wind generated by the wedge bellows is very musical. The temperament is versatile which gives the organ the ability to perform repertoire from different periods without being a "universal" instrument. Flutes have character while strings have mixing capabilities with other stops. The Trombone 8' in the Pedal, whose sound can be compared to a baroque bassoon, will be useful as a solo stop (tenor voice in cantus firmus) or as a foundation stop. The Hauptwerk pipework, except for the Spitzgamba 8', is all new because, in the dismounting process, many pipes were found damaged.
The instrument was inaugurated on May 4th, 2008.
I. Hauptwerk |
II. Unterpositiv |
|||
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Principal | 8' | Copula | 8' | |
| Copl | 8' | Principal | 4' | |
| Octave | 4' | Flauta | 4' | |
| Spitzfletten | 4' | Octave | 2' | |
| Quinte | 3' | Quint | 1 1/2' | |
| Superoctav | 2' | Cymbalum | III | |
| Mixtur | VII-X | |||
| Cymbel | II | |||
| Pusaundl | 8' | |||
Pedal |
|
|---|---|
| Principal | 16' |
| Octave | 8' |
| Octave | 4' |
| Mixtur | V |
| Grosspusaun | 16' |
| Octavpusaun | 8 |
I. Hauptwerk |
II. Brustwerk |
|||
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Principal | 8' | Gedackt | 8' | |
| Bourdon | 8' | Salicional | 8' | |
| Spitzgamba | 8' | Principal | 4' | |
| Octave | 4' | Rohrflöte | 4' | |
| Spitzflöte | 4' | Quinte | 2 2/3' | |
| Superoctave | 2' | Octave | 2' | |
| Mixtur | IV | Waldflöte | 2' | |
| Cornet | III | Sesquialter | II | |
| Mixtur | III | |||
Pedal |
|
|---|---|
| Subbass | 16' |
| Octavbass | 8' |
| Octave | 4' |
| Posaune | 8' |